Monday, July 09, 2007

Meal planning

How's this for housewifely? I've been meal-planning! The idea is to save some money by knowing what meals we'll need for the week, thereby only buying the right ingredients and not wasting anything. We also have loads of mince and chicken -- organic, no less -- donated to the cause by kindly parents that I would like to use. It's all part of a new frugal household.
The problem, you see, is that even though I'm not working at the moment, we have been spending just as we were on two incomes, which is not great for the bank balance.
Most of my recipes for the meal plan are torn from Delicious magazine, but I've just realised they have all the recipes online at Taste.com.au. This is great news because my subscription curtesy of work is just about to run out. I try to find recipes I can part make ahead and freeze, are low- or no-dairy and relatively l0w-fat. This is not as hard as you think. Plus, I have loads of recipes torn from magazines and printed off from online.
At first glance, the Taste site looks good. I used to love the Cooking Light site before they closed it off to everyone but subscribers. One of my geek coworkers managed to save the entire site to a disc for me before that happened but I haven't been able to access any of the new stuff. That site was great for low fat recipes. Like Cooking Light, the Taste site has user rankings. I usually take these with a grain of salt -- the Epicurious ones, for example, have comments from people who have made so many changes their opinions can hardly relate to the recipe as it stands.
Anyway, I thought I would post the meal for the day: pastitsio, baked pasta with a meat sauce. Just the right comfort food for a Winter night. You can make the meat sauce ahead of time and freeze it in batches and then cook the pasta and cheese sauce and assemble. I cooked the pasta earlier and gave LB some with the meat for her dinner before mixing it all up. It's in the oven now and I can't wait!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sharyn said...

Hey, we must be on the same wave length - I made bolognese last night and plan to use the left overs tonight for pastitsio! It (the pastitsio) is very popular around here and it's perfect weather for it. Take Care.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home