Thursday, June 09, 2005

Lactivisim!

More to the issue in the US of public breastfeeding: apparently a TV show had some negative comments about nursing in public and, as a result, loads of people protested (NYT link so read it before they lock it up!).
Some posters on the No Cry Sleep Solution forum were talking about this yesterday but I didn't have the details until this morning. So sad and stupid. Most women are really good at feeding without exposing any flesh. I don't think I've had any negative comments and I never used a shawl etc (although once used a muslin, but only because it was super-windy and blowing on LB's face) but I do know my dad is pretty sensitive to it. With my sister and sister-in-law he had to leave the room but now, after all these years, he can stay in the same room while I feed LB and just not look at me -- so there's something to be said for the idea in the story that exposure to it normalises the act.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home