Thursday, May 19, 2005

Where do the elks come in?

There's a story today about a program propounded by an American midwife called Birthing from Within. You can guess what that means. Hey, I was all for no intervention before my ceasarean!
I don't think I could think of anything worse than going to a class where we painted pictures and modelled our pregnancy experiences. That's all very soft.
I also object to the notion of failing. These types of people make it harder for women rather than easier -- putting that guilt out there. I felt upset after LB's birth (completely unlike our planned birth centre experience) but in hindsight I reckon a lot of that was the emotional post-birth feelings rather than guilt or sense of failure.
Two great points from this story, though not from the midwife: birth plans are problematic, and your experience from one birth to another can be completely different -- even if you don't work out your feelings in pastel paints.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home