Thursday, May 05, 2005

Demand feeding backlash

This story in Junior magazine isn't the first time I've seen someone try to make the link between demand feeding babies and childhood obesity. Tizzie Hall, who sells schedules and sleep training, also tries to make this case. My understanding is that babies who are breastfed on demand will regulate their appetites. There's also been some research that found breastfed babies were at less risk of later obesity.
I know with LB, sometimes she'd be howlling and I would have no idea why. I'd try to give her a feed but she wouldn't take it -- clearly not hungry. She was a big baby so the thought did cross my mind on many occassions that I might be overfeeding her.
I think they do know what they want and their appetites fluctuate so much that it is not a good idea to withold a feed. The Australian Breastfeeding Association says you cannot overfeed a breastfed baby. If you were thirsty at 10am would you wait until lunchtime to have something? Why withold food from a hungry baby because four hours hasn't passed.
Now that LB has solid foods there can be the temptation to offer her food to keep her quiet (in the car or shopping, for instance) and I'm trying not to do that. But I think, and as someone who has been overweight and then lost that fat, it really comes down to what you eat, how much and exercise. Especially the last one.
The thing that interests me particularly in the Junior story is the experts advising the mother to exert control over the baby. This whole concept of control bothers me. Why do we want to control the baby? I don't think we should give in to every demand our babies make but, alternatively, why should we ignore their personalities, wants and dislikes? We wouldn't do this to our partners or other loved ones -- or, in fact, any adult. If you want control, get a dog. A baby is a person who should be respected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home